The system requirements for UGENE are these:
- Operating system (32 or 64 bit):
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
Using a zip package it is possible to use UGENE without administrative rights on Windows
- Mac OS X 10.5 or later
For older Mac OS X versions (PowerPC, 10.4) UGENE version 1.10.3 is avaialble.
- Ubuntu 12.04 or later
- Fedora 19 or later
- If you have another Linux system, you may use a universal binary package
512 Mb RAM required
2 Gb RAM recommended
- Disk space:
Minimum required disk space depends on the UGENE package
- Standard package: 200-300 Mb
- Full package: 500-900 Mb
- NGS package: 21-24 Gb
- It is recommended to set the screen resolution to a value greater than 1280x1024.
- Internet connection is required for some tasks like loading data from online databases.
UGENE takes care to use capabilities of your system: the more RAM and cores you have, the more quickly you'll get results of your calculations.
Also, if you have an OpenCL-capable video card, you can use GPU-optimized versions of the following tools:
In most cases it is recommended to use UGENE full package, as it embeds additional external tools, such as local BLAST, Bowtie, etc. When the full package is used, the external tools can be run out of the box.
The list of the external tools and their availability for different operating systems can be seen on this page.
For details about UGENE packages, see this page.