The system requirements of UGENE are these:
- Operating system (32 or 64 bit):
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
Using a zip package it is possible to use UGENE without administrative rights on Windows
- Mac OS X 10.5 or later
For older Mac OS X versions (PowerPC, 10.4) UGENE version 1.10.3 is avaialble.
- Ubuntu 12.04 or later
- Fedora 19 or later
- If you have another Linux system, you may use a universal binary package
512 Mb RAM required
2 Gb RAM recommended
- Disk space:
Minimum required disk space depends on the UGENE package
- Standard package: 50-100 Mb
- Full package: 200 Mb
- NGS package: 2-3 Gb
- It is recommended to set the screen resolution to a value greater than 1280x1024.
- Internet connection is required for some tasks like loading data from online databases.
UGENE takes care to use capabilities of your system: the more RAM and cores you have, the more quickly you'll get results of your calculations.
Also, if you have an OpenCL-capable video card, you can use GPU-optimized versions of the following tools: